Sunday 24 November 2013

Type O Negative, October Rust



Type O Negative, October Rust (Roadrunner-1996)

I really think this band are so overlooked. I know so as I did the same. I did buy this in the late 90s but never really liked it as much as I do now. Could be my age but I don't know why it took so long to love this band so much.

The album before was a big hit going platinum in America and cementing the band into the gothic style. But they really are just a rock band. As always all music has to be put into a sub genre. Call it metal if you like but it is still just rock n roll.

The dry humor here is what I love starting with a joke track then onto the music. "Love You to Death" is such a catchy song, nice keyboards and sample added with Peter Steele's utterly unique voice opens the album up well. Same goes for his bass playing and "Be My Druidess" shows how to make a sound with a bass guitar in a way that you have to have a go. The down tuned style is at times so un inspiring for many people but there are so many positives here as the songs are very catchy, you will be sing along at times and again it is listed in the metal section.

The big song "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend" will guarantee smiles and it is such a great song, it should have been number one, could have been in the 80s but would they take it a seriously back then? The album is so well made that I was shocked to read that all drums were programed and you really can barley notice. I think they have made such a nice little sound unique to themselves you really do not notice much of the technical side of the music.

This album was not received as well as the other albums they done and a reason was for it being more ballad like music. But it is done so well and with such a great song writer in Steele they even cover a Neil Young song (Cinnamon Girl) and do it so well in there own style of music. It may seem to be a serious album and it is as the album deals with loneliness and death but the humor is so important here as it is so hard to write funny music. Here we have a funny, serious, heavy metal pop album. Has anyone ever done that ever since?

The album is easily available but the box set is great value as all the other albums are really good.

Twitter: 29xthefun

No comments:

Post a Comment