Saturday 10 March 2012

Classic Album Review. The Distillers, Sing Sing Death House.



The Distillers, Sing Sing Death House (2002 - Hellcat Records)

This band at the time seemed to have the NME backing them for the big time. I tend to stay clear of the NME but they were right just this once.

I was close to buying this a few times but I just was not sure if it was too close to pop punk as I am not a big fan of that. Well I did like Brody Dalle and loved her whole punk rock attitude and the more I learned about her the more I needed to hear the music.
I got this CD and with it being on a proper punk label in Hellcat Records I felt as if it should be good. With the band in 2003 signed to a major label this album appears to be the one that made the deal.

I see why it is one hell of an album, it has got the punk rock feel to it but the production is really great. Nice and crisp guitars and her voice is just simply stunning here. At times good production is needed and this is one of em. The guitar riffs need to be recorded for future reference and believe me I still nearly 10 years on play these riffs.
Not often do you get a really great punk album, I mean where all the songs are great and you always play it right through from start to end. Here is a real stayer in that I have repeated this album twice (yes yes that good).

First track 'Sick of it All' sets up the album perfectly, simple guitar power chords, some great bass playing to bring in the drums that blast as if they were going to self destruct. Her voice comes in and it does feel like 1977 for a small second. But the lyrics are so important as she can really project her voice so well. Topics on the first song are eating disorders and suicide and growing up on the streets.

Guitar played by Casper Mazzola here is just so fucking amazing, all riffs are done well and are so different from each other. Even most of the chords are different, no real style or bad habits in this guy at all. He drives the songs on so well with just a pick scrape and a small chord interlude you would think he had planned this for 20 years.

The intro riff to 'I Am a Revenant' is as melodic and as happy as I want my punk music to be once it is done it is time for that voice and again more guitar work that finds you playing air guitar.
Third track in is 'Seneca Falls' and if you were to review each track this is a 10/10. Time for the rhythm section to take a song by the neck and show what they can do. A song that should be played to kids in a history class and to all women around the world, remember Broady can write from the heart and head.

'City of Angels' is a classic punk rock song that should be used to accompany all film openings that are set in Los Angeles. Also the promo video was made for this and for some reason it just did not sell the album.

 I really can't go on and review every song this is a classic album blog and not the Guardian but the equation is pretty simple. Every song has great riffs, lyrics and most of all her voice.
The band did make a third album for a major and had a little bit of successes in the UK but ultimately they failed to sell much more than before. You can easily blame them being on Hellcat but bands like the Offspring and Rancid sold millions on an indie label. Also the whole punk pop thing that started with Green Day was still going and Blink 182 and many other bands were all doing great at the time.

And we come to why I do this blog, you missed this one and yes the punter is to blame again. The record label did sign them but you did not buy it.Was it too punk for the kids? Could have been I suppose but the fans did have a few years to "get it".

Well anyhow make up for it now and buy this album as soon as you can. Still on CD and download it is a must own for anyone who likes punk rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment