Tuesday 7 February 2012

Classic album review. Refused, The Shape of Punk to Come



Refused, The Shape of Punk to Come: A Chimerical Bombination in 12 Bursts (Burning Heart-1998)

I recently saw this album on a downloading site and it only had three downloads where next to it was other punk bands with 100s and 1000s of downloads. Shame but other peoples loss is my gain and well now it is our gain.

Swedish Hardcore Punk band Refused were about for seven years until they made this album. For some reason the band just never got along. But this was the 3rd album by them and for me a total classic. Mid 90s was a wash with pop punk music and thank fuck this came along. The album made a statement in that it was punk but not as we know it. Green Day and the Offspring managed to change mainstream views in what was punk. But any fan of punk music knows that it has few boundaries.

The music contained here is varied with at times drum and bass and pop music on the same track. Between songs are small parts of political satire mixed with jazz and even techno. It is not a punk rock album but is one of the most important punk rock albums (Ha get your head around that one Green Day fans).

Hearing this album is like flicking through the history of music in the last 30 to 40 years and reading a newspaper at the same time. The guitar work here is for me amazing, not often am I left with my mouth open at what is being played but it is just so good. The singer is on another planet at times screaming like the end of the world has arrived. I have no idea how this was recorded but it just sounds so complete. The drums and bass have a task in keeping up but do it so well.

It is hard to explain how important this album is, fans loved it and keep it close but outsiders just don't get it. I have played it to friends who just look at the cover in disgust as the album continues it is then disregarded as noise and forgotten about.

The band just did not get along, they were without a permanent bass player for the whole time they existed and the last tour was so bad the band split. Great reviews were not going to keep them on the road or even in the studio. No major label would touch this album. The band seemed to want to move onto other things and so they did in 1998. No last big gig or farewell tour.

I know I am not alone as a reissue in 2004 and 2010 shows people do hear about it and buy it. I had an argument with a moderator of a website after I placed it in the punk section to be told it is not punk.

Fuck it I will let you decide, punk or not it rocks like fuck and is one of the most essential albums of the 90s. 

I recently saw on the web the band have reformed for some live shows. Great news I hope they get the attention they deserve.

Available on CD and download, I say buy the limited 3CD and if you don't like it give it to me.






No comments:

Post a Comment